Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Nature Made® as a part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central.
One reason I hate getting older is watching my babies turn into big kids. Why can’t they just stay itty bitty and have that baby smell forever? Another reason is that the year seems to pass by faster and faster. I cannot believe it’s almost March. I always vow to live a healthier lifestyle each year but like most, that drive kicks in harder at the beginning of the year. So far, I’m off to a great start! I gave up sweet tea but the next thing to go has got to be coffee! Wish me luck. How will you get healthy this year? I’ve made some other small changes that I hope can help me on my path to health too.
About 2 years ago I started living the Paleo lifestyle. My family hasn’t really taken it up fully (hence some of the not-so-healthy recipes you find on DDM) but they try so I have to give them credit. I did slightly fall of the wagon but for 2016 I wanted my body back. I wanted to feel great again so back to paleo I have gone. If “paleo” scares you then look again. The food is absolutely delicious and filling and you are left feeling amazing after a meal.
Breakfast has always been the hardest for me but after being creative and looking at a lot of recipe books I have found my favorites. One I absolutely love making is this blueberry carrot cake parfait. Yep, cake for breakfast.. or a snack, whatever.
Paleo Blueberry Carrot Cake Parfait
- 2 large carrots, finely shredded
- ⅔ cup almond butter
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- coconut oil
- 1 -14 oz can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred carrots thinly. Place in large bowl.
- Add almond butter and eggs to carrots and mix well.
- Add honey, coconut flour), cinnamon, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish with coconut oil, pour carrot batter into the dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the top of the cake has crusted.
- Let cool then cut into small cubes.
- Open coconut milk that has now hardened from the refrigerator. Scoop top the coconut cream, leaving the coconut water. The water can be later used in a smoothie or other recipe.
- Place coconut cream in a bowl and stir until softened. Once you have a creamy soft consistency add vanilla extract and honey and mix to combine.
- Add blueberries and maple syrup to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds then using a fork, mash the blueberries.
- Making your parfaits! In a small jar or bowl, layer carrot cake, coconut whipped cream, then blueberry compote. Repeat once more.
Enter to Win 1 of 20 $50 Walmart Gift Cards!
*I-C will randomly select 20 winners from all program entries and will handle fulfillment of the winning prizes. Giveaway ends March 5, 2016.
*Based in part on data reported by Nielsen through its Scantrack Service for the Vitamins Category for 52-week period ending 9/26/2015, for the xAOC, FDM, and FM Markets. Copyright © 2015 Nielsen.
**Based on US News & World Report – Pharmacy Times Survey, Nature Made is the #1 Pharmacist Recommended Brand in Nine Categories – Letter Vitamins, Omega-3/Fish Oil, Coenzyme Q10, Flax Seed Oil, Herbal Supplements, Cholesterol Management-Natural, Garlic, Diabetic Multivitamins and Mood Health Supplements.