Disney•Pixar’s INSIDE OUT is officially out on store shelves! On Tuesday, the film that has earned $842,497,857 (worldwide) was released on Blu-Ray DVD Combo Pack. On the combo pack viewers get to see the all new exclusive short film “Riley’s First Date?”. I talked about it a tiny bit during my Kyle MacLachlen and Kaitlyn Dias interview post but today I wanted to get into it a bit more and introduce you to John Cooley (Director) and Mark Neilson (Producer), two of the men who made the short film possible.
Towards the end of INSIDE OUT Peter Docter and Jonas Rivera (Director and Producer for Inside Out) asked Josh Cooley to start thinking about a short film for INSIDE OUT. Josh came up with a few different ideas but this one, Riley’s First Date?, grew and inevitably it was the winning idea.
Telling a whole story in just 4 minutes can be super difficult so as a storyteller Josh and Mark knew they wanted to go the comedy route with Riley’s First Date?. And very early on they noticed audiences loved the dinner sequence where you go in and out of Mom and Dad’s head so Cooley and Neilson knew it was something worth pursuing in the short.
- Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers is one of the emotions in Jordan’s head.
- It took 10 months from idea to final sound mix.
- Animating the entire short only took about 1 month because the crew from INSIDE OUT was able to roll over onto the short.
- Another short film Josh had was a story around Bing Bong!
- In the beginning Pixar started out with 30 emotions.
- The emotions had real names in the beginning: Anger was Ira, Sadness was Misty, and Disgust was Nadia.
You can see Riley’s First Date? along with the Lava, deleted scenes and other extras when you pick up INSIDE OUT Blu-Ray Combo Pack NOW!