Disclosure: This blog post is part of a paid SocialMoms and TruMoo blogging program. The opinions and ideas expressed here are mine.
Little boys and girls love to play in the dirt but I’m one of those moms who cannot stand a dirty kid. There is however one type of “dirt” I always allow my kids to enjoy. Chocolate pudding, chocolate cookies and of course the worm coming out of it makes every child (and adult) smile instantly – Worms In Dirt.
There are a few different types of way you can make this but I love the homemade version. I’ve always made the “instant” version using instant pudding mix but it’s just not as good in my eyes. I’ve also started using chocolate milk (TruMoo) instead of regular milk to sneak even more chocolaty yumminess in there! If I’m going to spoil myself then I want the good stuff.
These fun extra chocolate desserts are sure to please everyone and for every event. My husband and his friends loved them for their football games, the girls loved them as an after dinner dessert, they would be great for a dirt birthday party, and they’d be great for Earth Day too!
So why TruMoo Chocolate Milk? Well besides I love all things chocolate so regular milk just would not do in this recipe, TruMoo Chocolate Milk is made with fresh, pure milk from your trusted dairy, it has essential nutrients your kids need, like calcium, protein and vitamins A & D. TruMoo contains no artificial growth hormones* and has been formulated to contain less added sugar and calories than other chocolate milk formulas. It is sweetened with just enough sugar to supplement the naturally occurring sugar in milk and it contains no high fructose corn syrup. TruMoo tastes great in recipes too so you can suppliment it in almost any milk recipe your heart desires. Maybe a
- ¾ C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 Tbls granulated white sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4½ Tbls corn starch
- ¾ C heavy cream
- 3 C TruMoo Chocolate Milk
- 1 11-12oz bag milk chocolate chips
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C crushed chocolate cookies
- gummy worms
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl combine cornstarch and heavy cream.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, heat TruMoo Chocolate Milk until steaming.
- Remove from heat, pour half of the TruMoo Chocolate Milk into the heavy cream mixture, while whisking.
- Add cocoa mixture to the liquid and stir. Return combined mixture tou double boiler. Cook, stirring for approximately 5 minutes or until pudding has thickened.
- Remove from heat. Add chocolate chips and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- Divide among bowls to serve immediately by laying pudding and crushed cookies as desired. Top off with a gummy worm for decoration.
- To save for a later time, cover with plastic wrap pressed to the surface, to avoid a pudding skin from forming, chill until you are ready to serve. Once ready to serve continue at Step 7.