Are You Pronouncing This Baby Gear Wrong?

Pronouncing baby gear wrong isn’t uncommon. I definitely have said some of them wrong myself. But I’m here to try to set the record straight on some of the most popular baby products.

Let’s settle this now: it’s “BRIGH-tax.” Not “Bree-tax” or “BRIGH-tex”

I have said this one wrong more times that I will admit (and I probably still will) but I’m sure “AY-dun” and “uh-NAY,” will understand. Spread the word.

Norwegians say Stokke like “STOWE-kah.” I’ve heard “STOW-kie” but have been assured that it most definitely is not that. And some people say it’s “STOCK-kuh.”

Turns out, the founder of Robeez has a son named Robbie. So the brand sounds like “Robbie’s” not “row-bees”.

It’s “peg-PERR-eh-go.” Not “Pe-purr-go”, and no not even “Peg-Purr-eh-go”.

It’s “muh-DEE-la,” not “muh-DAY-la” as I used to think.

Say “KEY-ko” not “CHEEK-o.”

Don’t over think this one. It’s not “HOO-vy” or “JJJJOO-vy”. Just think ‘nickname for juvenile hall’ and you’ll get it.

You got the first part down, right? But what about that little “j” and the two dots that are throwing too many non-Swedes off. It’s “be-YORN” not “bah-JORN,” But some Swede insists it’s “be-YEARN”. Say it anyway except “Bah-JORN”, ok?

It’s “PEE-di-ped.” not Ped-ee-ped. Simple.

signature

Comments

1. Mildred says

Great list, Stokke is Stoh-keh.
    Most of us Brits pronounce Britax as Brit-axe (incorrectly)
    Oh, and don’t forget Jane is pronounced ‘Hannay’

2. Alisha Duncan/Sheremeta says

Wow! I am guilty of mis pronouncing A LOT of these wrong! Thanks for the low down!! Hehe!

3. says

My friend pronounces pretty much everything wrong. I told her yesterday I was ordering a new car seat and she said ‘Oh, are you getting a Breetax?’ LOL

4. Christine C. says

I thought I was pretty knowledgeable on baby gear, but only knew how to pronounce half of them.

5. Cassandra Eastman says

I can’t believe I say most of these wrong, i’m SO glad you posted this to save me from future embarrassment! Thank you!

• Cassandra Eastman says

They might not at first but i’ll show them this post and they’ll realize how smart I am now! :) Haha!

6. Sonya Morris says

I think I say almost all of these wrong! Of course, when I say most of them to friends, I always comment that I have no clue on the correct pronunciation! Thanks for the post, hopefully I will say it correctly next time!

7. says

LOL. Thank you! I’m always afraid of mispronouncing stuff like this IRL because my knowledge of it has been from writing only.

8. Bekah Kuczenski says

This is embarrassing but I think I pronounce all of those wrong except Britax I say right :)

9. Tamara says

Love it! Why is it some of the baby gear has the hardest names to know the correct pronunciation? Another one I just figured out recently after working with them is Nuby. I always pronounced it “nubb-ee” but found out it’s actually “new-bee.”

10. Summer Davis says

I’m so thankful that someone posted this for people who don’t know. I got like 1/4 of them right when I was totally thinking I’d get them all. WHO KNEW?! I will be sharing this with every mispronouncing mama I know!

11. says

I had Stokke wrong, but I knew the rest! I think I’ve been to a lot of baby shows where you hear them talk about the brands, lol.

12. Christina Flores Pozzo says

I got a couple of them right most wrong. Still stumped about Chicco, never thought I was pronouncing it wrong…

13. Jodi Flaherty says

I enjoyed this post so much! I always correct people on Chicco, but few believe me!

Trackbacks